Today during class a question was brought up about whether students should be required to have google accounts so we can have class activities using google docs etc. We thought about what age it is appropriate for students to have an account, or what we might do if parents are apprehensive about it. We learned that you can create an account called teacher@gmail.com. Then if you add "+" and then a number or students name before the "@" symbol then it will forward all emails to the original teacher account. This allows the teacher to screen all emails before the students can see them. I think this creates a level of security for parents and teachers who may be concerned about younger students having an email account.
If the I were to use this in my classroom, I would make the email for each student with a number. This would allow me to use if from year to year. Each student would change their password or I would create a password for each student every year. I love this idea of being able to create a class google email account to create collaborative documents. In class today we did an example of one by using google slides. During this activity we were required to take an image from a box and think outside of the 'box' (no pun intended) and create something new. I have attached the google slide show to see what our class created!
Genius Hour Update
This week I have really dived into my researching more about nut allergies. I have learned a lot more about nut allergies. I have learned more about my personal allergy too which is what I have found the most interesting.
Today while I was researching I was reading an article about peanuts particularly. The article discusses that people often misconceive that a peanuts is similar or the same as a tree nuts. But in fact, peanuts are grown under ground and are not really a nut but a legume. A legume is anything from a peanut, beans, soya, and peas. Ironically I was unaware about this until last summer when I discovered that I am allergic to peas and certain soya proteins that I have found in certain canned soup and gluten free crackers.
This week my goal is to find out more biology information, such as the type of proteins that are consistent throughout these foods. I also want to research more into the policy about schools and how they are trying to protect children. I have currently found a article and video describing one students experience of having to quit public school and become homeschooled because she had so many reactions at home. It's an interesting story, check out the video attached bellow.
No comments:
Post a Comment